Monday, October 19, 2009

I had a dream about economic development. I know it’s a little odd. Doesn’t seem like something that would be interesting to dream about at all but I somehow can’t get it out of my head. I guess what I’ve realized is how we always seem to take an extreme view one way or the other (by “we” of course, I mean me.) It feels like I’m constantly fluctuating between the temptation to “stimulate the economy” and the conviction to buy nothing in an attempt to reject consumerism all together. I don’t think either one is right. Actually, for a while I felt that purchasing anything was wrong and that the only way to eliminate the temptation to accumulate as much stuff as possible was to give everything away (not that I did that, to be clear.) Then there’s the option of savings which seems like a good idea but can turn into hoarding -and what is the purpose of sitting on money that could be used and is needed desperately elsewhere? Even though saving seems like the responsible decision, it really can be just as selfish as pure consumption. I think the only real way to confront the whole dilemma is through responsible consumerism, which is not a new idea at all, I know. I started thinking about this in college when reading various articles about sweatshops and poor working conditions for laborers internationally. I started taking note of the companies I bought from and where various items were made. This didn’t last long, I was easily sucked back into the idea that I couldn’t really make a difference anyways, and getting a cute new shirt trumped my desire to be ethically responsible (and I’m not saying it won’t happen again, let me be upfront about my own hypocrisy.)
I grew up thinking business was a dirty word, but I realize its necessity and the good it has the potential to do when done wisely and with integrity. Putting money into purchasing goods to support others in need can mean survival for many. I’ve also seen the negative effects of uninformed generosity, which sounds and looks good but can actually do a lot of harm. Americans have a well known tendency to appease their consciences by throwing money at a problem, which often leads to disempowerment and dependency, not to mention we often throw our money in the wrong direction or at something that is culturally inappropriate or downright irresponsible (I’m working on researching this in more detail as we have seen some disheartening effects of it firsthand.) This also encourages the belief then that Americans are wealthy and unfortunately naive.
For environmental reasons I liked the idea of buying local, but didn’t give it much thought beyond enjoying the farmers market and thinking about saving fuel. I realize now that the local economy is something I should take more seriously. I like the idea of going local because I want to know where my things are coming from and that proper working conditions and wages are maintained. Not sure what this means in terms of globalization, as I know it’s nearly impossible to avoid purchasing things made internationally. And I’m not sure it’s wrong either. I don’t want to benefit my community at the expense of another, but I am not sure how to invest in my community and reject unethical practices locally and worldwide, without hurting those who need help in the process. So confusing. I read recently about unconfirmed allegations that coca-cola was using child labor and I have to say, even though I barely ever drink soda in the States it’s become one of my comfort foods over here. Something familiar that I am reluctant to abandon. All this stuff makes my head hurt.
I also dreamt about yogurt last night. Pomegranate, cranberry and mixed berry yogurt. It was heavenly. (Please don’t tell me Yoplait is corrupt too!)

Yesterday Ghana won the Under 20 World Cup! The kids got to stay up an hour and a half after bedtime to watch the game, which was just about the most exciting thing to ever happen around here. It was so hilarious to watch them. The game was actually really exciting as it came down to penalty kicks (Ghana vs. Brazil) - it was the culmination of all the tv that has been watched in this house for the past month. John and I stepped out during the game to go to the internet café and found the fastest connection we could get because the whole country was off watching the game (the poor café worker was pretty bummed to be there.)But we made it back for overtime and the shoot-out which was met with a lot of prayer and predictions from the kids, and followed by an extended period of dancing and shouting.
The past few days have brought some encouragement as we’ve met with the director here and really sorted out the needs, priorities, and changes that need to be implemented. I think it is going to work out well for us to help from the US and create some more infrastructure and development that has to be done stateside. Everything seems to be falling into place a little better and we are feeling more reassured and less bewildered about things. Too many things have unpredictably lined up for us to deny the connection here and the direction God is leading. We are praying about it and hammering out details about the position.

No comments: